Recipe for Hot Cross Buns
If you are looking for something to bake at home, here is our Easter classic recipe for Hot Cross Buns.
If you are struggling to find flour or yeast in the shops, many farm shops have these in ready supply. You can check our list of independent farm shops still open here.
You can find more delicious recipes on our Dorset Recipes page – like our easy Easter Simnel Cake Recipe.
Recipe for Hot Cross Buns
- 450g Strong White Bread Flour
- 2tsp instant yeast (1 sachet)
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 1tsp salt
- 50g butter
- 1 egg
- 200ml milk
- 1 orange (zest and juice)
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 200g dried fruit
- 75ml water
- 75g plain flour
- 1tbsp granulated sugar
- 2tbsp water
- Step 1 In a saucepan, add the milk, butter, orange juice and zest. Simmer on a low heat so that the butter has melted and the mixture is luke warm, before beating in the egg.
- Step 2 Tip the flour into a large bowl, then add the caster sugar, cinnamon and salt to one side of the bowl and the yeast to the other.
- Step 3 Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until they have combined to form a soft dough (you can add more milk or flour as necessary).
- Step 4 Knead the dough for 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic (this can be done using a stand mixer and dough hook if you have one).
- Step 5 Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling film or a clean tea towel. Leave the dough in a warm place for about 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Step 6 Once ready, tip the dough onto the lightly floured surface and knead lightly for 1 minute. Tip your dried fruit onto the dough and knead so the fruit is evenly distributed throughout.
- Step 7 Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and separate the dough into 12 ball-shaped portions. Place the 12 balls onto the tray and lightly cover with cling film or a clean tea towel and leave to rise for approximately 45 minutes.
- Step 8 Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/180 degrees C/gas mark 6.
- Step 9 While the dough is rising, make a start on the crosses by mixing together the plain flour and water to form a paste. Once the dough is ready, drizzle the cross shape across each bun with a piping bag or spoon.
- Step 10 Now the buns are ready to bake. Place them in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until they are golden on top.
- Step 11 While you wait, heat together the sugar and water to form the glaze, and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Step 12 When the buns are ready, brush the sugar glaze over them for a glossy shine.
Photos were taken by Heather Brown.