Recipe for Spiced Crab Apple Jelly
A wonderful spicy jelly that is great with turkey, hot or cold. Perfect with cheese, washed down with a cool glass of cider. First locate a crab apple tree and pick them late October, early November, cooking apples can be used as a substitute.
For more delicious recipes, do check out our Dorset recipes page.
Crab Apple Jelly
- 1kg crab apples
- Half nutmeg
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 10 cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- Quarter teaspoon ground mace
- 4 piece of orange peal
- 100ml cider vinegar
- Step 1 Wash the crab apples and chop into 2cm pieces, including skin and pips.
- Step 2 Add to a large pan, with spices and about 600ml of water.
- Step 3 Simmer with lid on for 1 ½ hours until the fruit is soft
- Step 4 Pour this mixture into a jelly bag or sieve lined with muslin.
- Step 5 Leave overnight (don’t force it through or your jelly will be cloudy)
- Step 6 The liquid will look cloudy, but don’t panic!
- Step 7 Add sugar (450g per 600ml of water) and vinegar.
- Step 8 Bring to the boil and cook until setting point is reached (105c), takes about 14 mins.
- Step 9 Skim any scum from the mixture.
- Step 10 After about 5 minutes the liquid will suddenly clear.
- Step 11 Pour into sterilised jar and store until required.