This sensational sauce goes with any white fish cod, hake, haddock etc. and it is delicate enough to go with lemon sole and plaice. I do prefer this with fresh bass, but these are hard to come by in mid winter, so a couple of cod fillets will make a great Valentines meal!
Cod with a Tarragon Sauce
- 2 cod fillets skinned
- 2 baking potatoes
- olive oil
- 1/2 finely chopped shallot
- 1/2 glass white wine
- 80ml chicken stock
- 150ml double cream
- 60gm cooked prawns
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- squeeze of lemon juice
- knob of melted butter
- salt & pepper
- sunblush tomatoes drained & sliced
- chopped chives or a sprig of tarragon
- Step 1 Cut each potato in half length ways then cut each half into three slices to form wedges
- Step 2 Toss in olive oil and salt & pepper and roast for 25 minutes 220c/gas 7.
- Step 3 Boil the shallots and white wine until almost dry
- Step 4 Pour in cream & stock and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Step 5 Just before serving add the prawns & tarragon, lemon juice & seasoning.
- Step 6 Brush the cod with melted butter and cook in the oven for 6-8 minutes.
- Step 7 Place a few roast potato wedges on each plate and arrange the cod on top. Pour over the sauce and garnish.