After my visit to Portland Shellfish I thought I would prepare my favorite crab starter, asparagus & crab salad. This incorporates crème fraiche, fresh lime and Dijon mustard to give a wonderfully fresh dish. This recipe made just enough for three, you will need to buy another dressed crab or buy cartons of white & brown meat.
Asparagus and Crab Salad
- 1 small dressed crab
- 15 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons of crème fraiche
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- juice 1 small lime
- brown crab meat
- olive oil for drizzling
- Step 1 Trim the asparagus and cook in a large pan for 2 minutes.
- Step 2 Drain and tip into iced water.
- Step 3 Dry and cut into 3 pieces at an angle.
- Step 4 Mix all the ingredients for the dressing and season.
- Step 5 Toss the asparagus spears in the dressing.
- Step 6 Build a nest of asparagus spears in the center of the plate.
- Step 7 Place some white crab meat in the center of each nest.
- Step 8 Top with a small bundle of rocket and drizzle with olive oil.
- Step 9 Serve with a few slices of bread.