I am a huge fan of coffee and have personally spent time learning and tasting the beautiful complexities in different coffee flavour profiles. During lockdown, I took the opportunity and the simple pleasure of the routine of grinding the beans and making a fresh coffee every day, to try some of Dorset’s amazing coffee. I don’t have a large coffee machine home so I can’t make an espresso based drink, but an aeropress and a coffee bean grinder allows me to try all kinds of local beans at home… and I definitely made the most of that this year!
In the handful of months since lockdown began, I have been able to try freshly roasted beans from Bad Hand Coffee, Grounded Coffee, Broadoak Coffee and Beanpress Coffee (and I have previously tried Dorset Coffee Co beans too). They are all hand roasted in Dorset and to be honest, they were all delicious. I tend to stick to coffee beans with chocolatey or caramel flavour undertones (all of which are described on the websites of the coffee roasters to make choosing easy) and I prefer a washed bean to a natural bean… but I know that some of the floral notes in a natural coffee can be really good!
I have settled on the Rocky Road blend from Beanpress Coffee as my current favourite. Beanpress Coffee was born out of the Little Red Roaster in Ashley Cross and they personally visit the farms that grow the beans and meet the growers, stories of those adventures you can find on their facebook page. Beanpress coffee can be found in some of Dorset’s amazing cafes, including the brilliant Espresso Kitchen in The Triangle, Bournemouth. You can also find their coffee used as the base for Conker’s Cold Brew Liqueur.
Many of these great coffees can be found in cafes and restaurants across the county, and don’t get me wrong, I love an oat milk flat white… but for me, making a simple black coffee at home with freshly ground beans, is one of life’s simple pleasures and I have loved exploring Dorset’s amazing producers.
I have listed all of the places where I have discovered Dorset roasted coffee. If I have missed any, please do let me know and I will add them to this list.
- Bad Hand Coffee – Bournemouth, East Dorset
- Nakd Coffee – Bournemouth, East Dorset
- Section 8 Coffee – Bournemouth, East Dorset
- Forest Edge Coffee Co – Highcliffe – East Dorset
- Little Red Roaster – Ashley Cross, East Dorset
- Beanpress Coffee – Winterbourne Kingston, Central Dorset
- Grounded Coffee Roasters
- Coffee Shot – Sherborne, North Dorset
- Broad Oak Coffee
- Fountain Rock Coffee – Weymouth, West Dorset
- Dorset Coffee Company – Dorchester, West Dorset
- Carve Coffee Roasters
- Reads Coffee Roasters – Sherborne
- Full Circle Coffee – Bournemouth
- Wellington Coffee – Bournemouth
- Wimborne Coffee Roasters – Wimborne
- 918 Coffee Co – Shaftesbury
You can also check out our other Directories of Dorset food and drink businesses…
- Dorset’s Drink Producers
- Dorset’s Farm Shops, online farm shops, Zero Waste Shops, Village Stores and Delis.
- Focus on Dorset’s Bakeries
- Dorset’s Milk Vending Machines
- Dorset’s Micro Food Producers
- Dorset’s Restaurants, Cafes & Bars
- Dorset’s Artisan & Farmer’s Markets
- Dorset’s Greengrocers, Fishmongers, Butchers and Bakeries