There is something special about popping to the local Bakery and buying a fresh loaf of bread or a sweet treat, especially as a treat in this Lockdown season and the queues around the block are proof that many of us have enjoyed a little freshly baked goodness recently.
Since the start of 2020, there have been a number of Bakeries opening across Dorset (including a new Patisserie Mark Bennetts in Christchurch, Rise in Bridport and Tasty Bakes in Southbourne) which is also testament to just how much people enjoy and appreciate some freshly made bread and cakes.
My favourite local Bakery is the Bakehouse24 in Southbourne. All their bread is handmade in their HQ in Ringwood and their bakery shops are refilled daily with their delicious selection of bread and sweet treats. All the loaves are vegan and they have everything from a 24Hour Sourdough, a Seeded 7 (my fave), baguettes, bagels and a wonderfully dense Rye.
Bakehouse24 also have a great range of sweet bakes, complete with their infamous cinnamon rolls (including a vegan version) which often sell out quickly. My husband loves the bread and butter pudding cake and on Saturdays they have a sweet bake special which is frequently decadent and tasty!
More often that not, you can also find tasty locally roasted coffees, savoury bakes like sausage rolls and fresh sandwiches in many bakeries, making the most of the fresh bread and filling it with local goodies. They can also open their bakery shops to pop ups in the evenings, so keep an eye out for those too!
If you are looking for something specific or you know you need to buy in bulk, then it is worth giving these bakeries a call to pre-order, especially on a Saturday when bread can quite often sell out by mid-morning.
Below is a list of all the local Bakeries we can find across Dorset and a link to their website or facebook page so you can see the kind of bakes they offer. If we have missed your local bakery, then do let us know and we will add it to the list.
- High Street Bakery – Shaftesbury
- Mortimers Bakery – Sherborne
- Oxfords Bakery – Cheap Street, Sherborne & Alweston, nr Sherborne
- The Bakeout – Sherborne
- Bakehouse24 – Southbourne (and Ringwood)
- Patrisserie Mark Bennett – Christchurch, Ashley Cross, Penn Hill, Broadstone & Lilliput
- Pandora’s Bakery – Ferndown
- M’s Bakery – Pokesdown
- Tasty Bakes – Southbourne
- Bennett’s Family Bakers – Southbourne, Westbourne, Winton & Poole, East Dorset
- Idah’s Patisserie – Bournemouth
- Ponti Italian Bakery – Bournemouth
- Rustic Treats Bakery – Moordown
- Le Petit Prince – Westbourne & Wimborne
- Crusty Bread – Poole
- Oxfords Bakery – Canford Cliffs
- Diana’s Patisserie – 188C Lower Blandford Road, Broadstone, BH18 8DP
- The Wobbly Cottage – Broadwindsor
- Francombe Farm Bakery – Cerne Abbas
- The Village Baker – 1 Hogshill Street, Beaminster
- Leakers Bakery – Bridport
- Rise Bakery – Bridport
- Punch & Judy Bakery – Bridport
- SGT Bun Bakes – Weymouth
- New Street Bakery – Dorchester
- Crusty Cobb – 16 Maud Road, Dorchester
- Mortimers Bakery – Dorchester
- Evershot Bakery – Dorchester
- Oxfords Bakery – Dorchester
- Town mill Bakery – Lyme Regis
- Charmouth Bakery – Charmouth, near Lyme Regis
Central Dorset and the Purbecks.
Dorset also has home bakers and cake makers who make cakes and bread to order or sell via farmer’s markets and food festivals. You can find them listed here… Dorset’s Micro Food Producers
You can also check out our other Directories of Dorset food and drink businesses…
- Dorset’s Drink Producers
- focus on Dorset’s Coffee Roasters
- Dorset’s Farm Shops, online farm shops, Zero Waste Shops, Village Stores and Delis.
- Dorset’s Milk Vending Machines
- Dorset’s Micro Food Producers
- Dorset’s Restaurants, Cafes & Bars
- Dorset’s Artisan & Farmer’s Markets
- Dorset’s Greengrocers, Fishmongers, Butchers and Bakeries