Recipe for Cheese and Spring Onion Scones
These cheese and spring onion scones are my go to pick me up when I want something different for lunch (or brunch). Warm from the oven with lashings of butter, these scones are delicious on their own or with maybe a side of crispy bacon too.
You can make these scones in just 25 minutes with need no fancy equipment, just a bowl, some scales and a baking tray (and an oven!). The trick is to handle the mix only enough for the dough to come together, no kneading or rolling, for that fluffy scones finish.
You can find more recipes on our Dorset Recipes page.
Cheese and Spring Onion Scones
- 4oz of self raising flour
- 1.5oz butter
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- cheddar cheese
- 1 or 2 spring onions
- Step 1 Pre-heat the oven to 170 fan/gas 5.
- Step 2 Grease and line a baking tray.
- Step 3 In a bowl, rub together between your fingers the flour, sugar and the butter until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Step 4 Grate into the bowl as much cheddar as you would like and using scissors (for ease) chop in the spring onions. Mix these all together.
- Step 5 Adding in the milk a little at a time, stir the mixture together until it forms a dough (if you go too far and the mixture is too sticky, add a little more flour).
- Step 6 Using your hands, gently form discs about 1 inch thick and place onto your baking tray (either two large or 4 smaller).
- Step 7 drizzle a tiny bit more milk over and add some more grated cheese.
- Step 8 Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Step 9 Enjoy straight out of the oven.
Photo and recipe by Heather Brown.