We keep being asked if we know of places that currently have stocks of flour and other baking ingredients. We have searched through our list of local Dorset businesses, as well as UK based suppliers who are offering home delivery, to put together a list to help.
Obviously, you also may be able to find baking supplies in your local small corner shops, or in larger supermarkets. I have also found that independent petrol stations also have some stocks, but these maybe more expensive.
We have also put together a list of baking tips/hacks if you cannot find all the ingredients on your recipe (for bread and cakes). Baking tips (if you can’t quite find the right ingredients).
Updated Tuesday 21st April 2020.
Dorset based businesses that have stocks of strong bread flour as well as plain and/or self raising…
- Roots Restaurant have wholesale bags of flour which they are bagging and selling in 2kg bags. They also have gluten free flours.
- Parlourmentary have wholesale bags of flour that you can bring your own containers and fill up from.
- Olives et al have put together Loaf & Larder to supply people with basics, produce and essentials, which includes some flours and baking items.
- Dike & Sons in North Dorset have a whole host of local produce available, including flour and baking items.
- Roberts Food Service offer a wide range of local produce (from dry to fresh) which can be delivered to your home.
- Almond & Co are open for collection and home delivery and have different types of flour available. You can see their products via their order form on their website.
- Food on the Loose are still open and have a range baking ingredients for sale. Collection from shop only (may be able to deliver to elderly or vulnerable).
- Gullivers Farm Shop in Ferndown are offering boxes of baking items for delivery. Call 01202 619819 to order.
- Trulys of Westbourne are also collaborating with their suppliers to get in flour, rye, gluten free flour, sugar, butter and eggs. They also sell a small menu to takeaway and lots of other basics.
- Cariad Wholefoods have stocks of flour as well as egg replacers, nuts, seeds and dairy free milks.
British Mills – these are the Mills that we have found to still be open and sending flour via delivery/Royal Mail. They are all overwhelmed with orders so some are closing their online shops intermittently if they too busy with orders. If you look at these sites the beginning of the day, you may have a better chance at success and some are saying that they are hoping to open the other site of the Easter weekend.
- Stoates Flour in Dorset.
- Calbourne Watermill in Isle of Wight
- Sharpham Park in Somerset
- Shipton Mill in Glourcestershire
- Wessex Mills in Oxfordshire
- Nelstrops in Cheshire
- Letheringsett Watermill – Norfolk
- Gilchesters in Northumberland
- FWP Matthews in Oxforshire
Wholesale/Cake Decorating – some of these businesses supply trade so you may need to order in bulk.
- Harvest Fine Foods
- Cake Decorating Co
- Dr Oetker – supplies baking powders and bicarb of soda, as well as some cake mixes.
Doves Farm are also supplying Gluten Free boxes for those who are gluten intolerant or coeliac. They include flour, cereal, pasta and other goodies and can be bought 1 box per order.
If you are looking for a list of shops that provide items other than baking ingredients you can check out our full list of Dorset independent food and drink business here.